Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Review: Beware the Kitten Holy

Beware the Kitten Holy Beware the Kitten Holy by Noelle Stevenson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I don't have a whole lot to say about this one. I'm a huge fan of Noelle Stevenson's work and I've followed her on Tumblr for years and years. This was kind of disappointing, but I think that's mostly attributable to its intended demographic which (I think) is pre-teens. Mainly, I just didn't get a strong feeling of who any of the characters actually are or what the plot really is. I can kind of guess what some of the characters' personalities should be based on their appearance, a few lines, and my knowledge of general character archetypes, but there's almost nothing in the story that differentiates one character from another in any meaningful way. And I know this is the first book, so I can excuse it being light on story as long as that is in favor of introducing us to the characters, but it doesn't do either, so I'm not sure I'm going to pick up the second one. The artwork, though, was fun and whimsical, exactly what a story about fantastical adventures at camp should be.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment