Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Review: Octavia's Brood: Science Fiction Stories from Social Justice Movements

Octavia's Brood: Science Fiction Stories from Social Justice Movements Octavia's Brood: Science Fiction Stories from Social Justice Movements by Walidah Imarisha
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Usually, it's pretty easy for me to write thousands of words about terrible books. I don't even want to put the effort in for this one. I desperately wanted to love this; by all rights, I should have loved it. Octavia Butler is my favorite author, and a book of stories inspired by her rooted in modern social justice movements sounds like a great idea, and something I would totally adore! I even love the cover! But most of these stories are written by activists, not writers, and it shows BIG time. There are about 2 stories, plus the essays that finish the collection off, that are readable. A few more have interesting premises but fail in execution. Everything else is full of hackneyed, over-the-top premises, way too many adjectives, unconvincing characters, and generally dreadful prose. I can't believe I even finished it. It was probably an interesting exercise for those involved, but it never should have been published. Don't spend your time reading this.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment