Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Review: Sabriel

Sabriel Sabriel by Garth Nix
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I always meant to read this when I was younger, and while I am glad to have finally read it, it definitely would've been better if I were 13 or even 16. The world of Ancelstierre and the Old Kingdom, where magic exists and is controlled by a charter and seemingly the most popular pastime is necromancy, is an interesting idea, but even the basic tenets of power and history in the world are hidden from the reader and saved for a (predictably unsurprising) surprise reveal 2/3 of the way through the story. And - spoiler alert - there's a weird romance shoehorned in. The kids have three or four random, out-of-character moments apiece where they're suddenly filled with yearning for each other. The world of the story actually reminds me of his Seventh Tower series - there are a lot of structural similarities, at least from my vague recollection.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment